Notes from the AWS bootcamp on high availability:
- Cloud formation scripts creation of server farms
- configured with multiple instances, with a min/max of web servers available that are auto-launched
- Windows instances can be bootstrapped extensively, including with Powershell scripts
- can apply Windows updates?
- Windows 2008 core AMIs are available
- EC2 instance storage can be SSD, no network and thus good for temp db; included in instance price
- Attachment/UploadChunk to S3 for load balancing?
- SQL backups to S3: transport mechanism? (Cloudberry offers a solution)
Elasticache for dropdowns / templates?
- multi-connection strings per website?
- how to choose to provision dbs to different SQL instances (RDS?)
- dynamo db web sessions? For XSLTs!?!? For configuration?!? 64kb item size limit
- Queue Service => SNS => auto scale app tier boxes
- multiple NAT instances
- ApproxNumberOfMessagesVisible => CloudWatch to launch more app servers
- Can extend visibility timeout
- CloudWatch: create an alarm that executes an auto-scaling option